Learn Larp, LLC is an educational consulting and game design company focused on the power of role-playing games as co-created participatory experiences that build empathy, collaboration, problem-solving, critical thinking and awareness. We are founded in the tradition of European larp companies that use larp in basic, secondary and higher education to meet content and soft-skills-related learning objectives, and to help communities deal with complex social, political, and environmental issues.
Learn Larp’s mission is to create high production value live-action role-playing experiences that are safe, fun, empowering, and unforgettable.
We believe in larp’s potential to:
- broaden perspectives
- promote critical thinking and problem-solving
- cultivate empathy
- invigorate the imagination
- provide a safe space to create and innovate
- empower participants to take risks and see consequences of choices
- create kinesthetic, affective, and cognitive connections
- foster community-building, collaboration, and teamwork
- make learning fun and memorable
- build cultures of empowered individuals working toward a common goal
- serve as model for powerful pedagogy and
- change hearts and minds in meaningful ways.
Our vision is to demonstrate larp’s potential to foster personal growth, pedagogical effectiveness, and social change.
We do this by:
- maintaining an open and inclusive game design and community
- giving agency to players, allowing them to experience real-time consequences of their actions
- offering immersive game experiences that encourage collaboration and cooperation vs. a zero-sum win condition
- incorporating cutting-edge social and cognitive research
- designing games around complex and thought-provoking social conflicts and ethical dilemmas and encouraging players to safely explore them through role-play
- creating game mechanics that privilege innovation and value contributions from all participants
- prioritizing the player’s experience and creating an environment of safety, value and freedom
- partnering with educational institutions to teach larp design as instructional design
- collaborating with teachers to create larp learning experiences in classrooms that meet cognitive, kinesthetic and affective learning outcomes
- working with corporate partners to use role-playing simulations for training, team building, and greater synergy.